The Ginkgo Pages Forum - Blog

Welcome, this blog belongs to my website The Ginkgo Pages about the tree Ginkgo biloba. - Cor Kwant
Go to search + archive.

follow me on twitter Follow me on Twitter

August 30, 2006

Ginkgo leaf in Art and Craft period US

What a super sight! I'm interested in learning why the ginkgo leaf was used
in art forms so extensively during the Arts and Crafts period in the US. I'm
researching this for our Historical Museum in Arlington Heights, IL. Aprons and
cards with beautiful stenciled leaves on them are sold in the Heritage Gallery
at the museum. Many thanks for any light you shed.
Topic by Betsy Ward

3 Comments:

At 1/31/2007, Blogger Unknown said...

So I am also curious... did you find an answer?

-j

 
At 2/09/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not aware of this motif being used in the Arts and Craft Movement. Do you have information about the Ginkgo used in Arts and Craft objects?

 
At 10/21/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guess - Displaying Chinese and Japanese collectables was part of the American Arts & Crafts decor. Since the ginkgo leaf is an object of nature (a prevalent theme in the Arts & Craft movement) and distinctly Asian, it became part of the A & C "vocabulary."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home