The Ginkgo Pages Forum - Blog

Welcome, this blog belongs to my website The Ginkgo Pages about the tree Ginkgo biloba. - Cor Kwant
Go to search + archive.

follow me on twitter Follow me on Twitter

November 07, 2006

Germinating Ginkgo seeds in winter

I was wondering if I could germinate some Ginkgo seeds over the winter indoors with a grow light. I would like to get them started now and then take the seedlings outdoors after the winter is over? Any help would be appreciated....
Question by Lee from Michigan.

3 Comments:

At 11/10/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have germinated ginkgo seeds in December and put them in an east facing window. They did just fine and held their leaves till the next Autumn. Your seedlings will probably do better with artificial light. Just remember to water the pots, as the light bulb dries stuff out faster.

-Karl

 
At 7/16/2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Id like to ask on behalf of my 2 seedlings. I germinated them both in late fall last year and i am concerned that their 1st year leaves wont make it to this fall. I had assumed that they would grow more than the first 4 leaves but the buds at the ends seem to be holding out for a winter that i now assume they expected to be half over by now lol... are they going to be okay? the edges of the leaves are very gradually starting to turn yellow....

 
At 9/25/2009, Blogger Corin said...

Will gingko seed embryos mature while frozen?
My friend has gathered gingko seeds, removed the husk, and frozen them. We want to plant them in the spring. I have read, "For seeds gathered this fall, it is best to wait until after January before growing them as the embryo needs that time to mature."* Will the embryos still mature while frozen?

* http://www.ottawahort.org/ginkgo.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home