The Ginkgo Pages Forum - Blog

Welcome, this blog belongs to my website The Ginkgo Pages about the tree Ginkgo biloba. - Cor Kwant
Go to search + archive.

follow me on twitter Follow me on Twitter

August 04, 2008

Ginkgo root system in planters

I am a new owner of two ginkgo trees (they are @ 5ft tall) and I just love them.  I want to make sure I plant them correctly so we can enjoy them for a very long time.  We are wanting to plant them in our planters that are 3ft tall by 14ft long and they would be in full sun.  I know they are slow growers but will there be a problem of the roots breaking through the planters eventually or there being enough room for the root system to grow properly?  The bottom portion of the planter is open to the ground below.  Any info would be great!!  Thank you.
Question by Janette

2 Comments:

At 8/12/2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the bottom of the planter is open, the roots will just go straight down into the soil. If there is a wooden bottom to the planter, the time it takes for the roots to break through mostly depends on how damp the area is since once any wood starts to rot it becomes easy for roots to move through it. If the sides of the planter are thick and connected firmly, there is no reason why they should not stay intact for many years. I like using old railway sleepers, the more worn the better. They are good to sit on and they are easily made suitable for planting small succulents in their cracks and joins.

 
At 12/14/2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a small Ginkgo plant (about 3 feet high) which I wish to plant out in my garden. I am concerned about the roots interfering with the boundary wall. How close can I safely plant the tree to prevent the roots from undermining and damaging the wall?

Regards

Hugh Rivers-Moore
South Africa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home